Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get ride of SandBlastBackup folder in 'C Drive'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get ride of SandBlastBackup folder in 'C Drive'?

Hi,
    I have paid for ZoneAlarm Extreme Security and installed it on Windows 7 for months. I just found a hidden fold with tons of files in C(OS drive) and D(data drive) called "SandBlastBackup", which is getting huge and eating up my SSD. I can not delete them even as an administrator.
    1. What does this folder do?
    2. Can I delete it or periodically delete it? What is the consequence if it is deleted? Can I move/assign this fold to another drive instead of C?
    Thanks.

Same issue - consuming a lot of space on all my drives now

Comment

New in ZoneAlarm Extreme Security that came out this year is a component called Anti-Ransomware. This component is essentially the home version of their enterprise Check Point Anti-Ransomware which is part of Check Point Sandblast agent: an endpoint protection product sold by Check Point which is the parent company of ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware function in two ways: Behavior Detection and Honeypots. Behavior Detection, as the name suggestions, checks for Behavior anomalies in active processes, and takes care of any bad ones. Honeypots, which is relevant to your issue, are files planted by Anti-Ransomware solutions to assist in capturing ransomware. Folders titled "SandblastBackup" or such are honeypots. If these files get encrypted, Anti-Ransomware kicks in to stop the attack, and reverse any recorded damage. Honeypots are essential for the Anti-Ransomware component to work, and should NOT be deleted. If you do want to delete it, I think it is very difficult if you do not have tech expertise.

Signed
      Last edited by CallMeScoot; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Additionally, the ZA anti-ransomware keep constantly track of recent changes on the system/files to be able to revert data to its original state in case of a
        Ransomwareattack. If you remove that folder you also remove the ability of the software to revert undesired changes.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
        Click here for ZA Support
        Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Much appreciated!

Comment

Sometimes a software package will install files on your computer without your permission and not allow them to be deleted or moved. Those files might take up a lot of space, but there is nothing that can be done if some software takes over your machine and you cannot even delete the files as an administrator.

That is typical. When it is ZoneAlarm doing that, it's odd and a little ironic, no?

Per ZA tech support, the only way to get rid of those files - that ZA created on your machine without your permission - is to wipe the misbehaving software from your hard drive and reinstall it. Yes, that is right: Because some security software has messed with your machine, you have to do a reinstall.

Comment

Not sure if this helps, previously I use older ZA Firewall with anti ransom ware version, and to remove the Sandblast folders , I use the following
              method as detail in

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/r...files.1216510/

see the reply by microgruru09

After uninstalling Cipolla and restart the machine, you can delete these Sandblast folders and would never see them again.
              and then optimize your harddrive again.

I'm not sure whether this method applies to the latest ZA firewall extreme version.
              These Sandblast folders and antiransom ware systems are of little use.

Because of this issue, I only purchased the ZA Pro Antivirus + Firewall version for my network.

Comment

Working...
              X