ZA ES quick scan limited to memory scan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZA ES quick scan limited to memory scan

I have two "similar" computers (A nd B) with Win7/64 SP1, Swedish version, networked in a small home LAN, and both have the latest (v. 15.1.1501.17249) ZA ES installed and uppdated. Also, both start at boot and have identical settings under Preferences. There are NO other security issues that I know of.

When I open ZA manually and run a Quick Scan (both computers come upp clean) A count to about 2200 scanned files, while B stops directly after the Memory scan and shows 5 (FIVE!) scanned files! Obviously, only the memory area is being scanned in B, nothing else. FULL scan seem to terminate normally in both.

Should I be worried...?

Re: ZA ES quick scan limited to memory scan

As far as I can see you should not worry at all. There is nothing abnormal as counting by ZA is based on various factors that may distort the end value.

So, just ignore, ZA works as intended.

Fax

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

As I understand it, the task of Quick Scan is to also scan for malware in the critical sytem area of (in this case) Windows, and repport back to the user. The end value you mention is not "distorted" by any factors (?) but seemingly by some internal instruction to terminate. Indeed, on computer A the Quick Scan values may vary slightly from scan to scan, obviously due to the fact that it DOES also scan other critical areas. Computer B stoppes short directly after the memory scan and displays five scanned files - every time!

I've been dealing with PC's for more than 30 years now, and every bone in my body signals "abnormal"! Actually, I'd be more happy knowing it's an unaddressed bug...

Comment

Sorry all user here, if you beleive it is a bug then please report it directly to the official ZA technical support. You may need to perform several troubleshooting steps.

Link to technical support is both posted at the top of this forum board or in my signature.

Thanks,
        Fabio

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

if you beleive it is a bug...
          I never said that, and no, I don't believe it's a bug. I meant that I would have PREFERED it to be one, in stead of the uncertanity I experiance now. I tend to believe that a bug would behave simililarly on the two identical machines that I have. As I mentioned before - this "limitation" only affects one of them.

The first answer I've got was far from reasuring. Kind of:

" - I think my hause is burning!"
          " - It's normal behaviour, go back to sleep...!"

I don't expect you to have answers to all questions, but both your attempts to desmiss my justified concerns over a seemingly serious security issue as "normal behaviour" is only adding insult to injury! Quick Scan is after all a central feature when it comes to user interaction. If critical system files (where malware usually hide!) are left unchecked by it, then users have all reson in the world to worry. This is an essential issue for common users like myself, and worth further investigation and public discussion.

Comment

Sorry for the misunderstanding. As already mentioned, the logic behind the GUI displaying number of elements scanned is not clear and only who design it will be able to answer you. By experience there is nothing to worry about but this conclusion may not be valid for your specific case.

If you would like to further explore the issue you will need to contact directly the ZA technical support, they may be able to clarify if this behaviour is intended or not?

I hope this helps and thank you again for your patience, understanding and support.

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

By experience there is nothing to worry about but this conclusion may not be valid for your specific case.
              OK, Iíve got the message...

you will need to contact directly the ZA technical support, they may be able to clarify if this behaviour is intended or not?
              By now I am convinced that this behaviour IS intended and therefore kind ofÖ harmless. Problem solved!

thank you again for your patience, understanding and support
              You're welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X