Bash on Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bash on Windows

The current Bash on Windows beta from Microsoft does not seem to trigger any alerts on ZoneAlarm, when updating packages (apt-get) from Internet. Its just blocked unless ZoneAlarm is disabled.

Is anyone-else experiencing this?

Re: Bash on Windows

Sorry no experience here on Bash shell. Please note however that ZA does not support any windows beta versions.

I would carefully review all ZA log sections (application, OSfirewall, firewall, etc) to see if there is anything unusual logged there.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

I have a similar problem. Although i can use apt-get, ssh does not work. No alerts from ZA but when I snooze the firewall it works.

Comment

ZA does not support the running of VMs and similar interfaces (mac, linux, etc), therefore even if it is a problem they may not fix it anytime soon.

The only thing you can do is to try to inspect the logs for anything been blocked and allow it. An additional problem is that ZAfree does not allow firewall expert rules (e.g. opening specific ports). So the fix must be within the feature included in ZAfree.

If everything else fails I am afraid you may need to find another free firewall that play nice with Bash.

Sorry,
        fax

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Originally posted by fax View Post
          I would carefully review all ZA log sections (application, OSfirewall, firewall, etc) to see if there is anything unusual logged there.
          I have a similar issue. What fails are h t t p requests to archive.ubuntu.com. These fail with "Connection failed" under Windows bash, but succeed in a browser under Windows (not in the bash subsystem). I also tried with us.archive.ubuntu.com which has a different IP and it failed also.

I looked at the logs, but since the bash environment works as part of the windows OS kernel, it does not appear as a regular process as far as I could tell.

PZ setting to Medium and got some connectivity.

i note that bash is not a VM. I've used ZA with VMWare and VirtualBox VMs with no issues.
          Last edited by fax; December 13th, 2016, 10:19 AM. Reason: edit broken quote

Comment

Hi, I Agree with Guru Fax,
            If everything else fails I am afraid you may need to find another Free Firewall that play nice with Bash.

Sorry,
            GeorgeV
            ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Sunday 24x7 Hours
            Closed on Holidays

Comment

(I've been using ZoneAlarm Free Firewall for years now. Current version I'm using: 15.0.653.17211, on Windows 10 Home x86_64.)

Any time the Linux subsystem for Windows (via one of its subcomponent programs) makes an attempt to access the Internet, ZoneAlarm Free blocks it. For example, ZoneAlarm Free blocks an "apt-get update" attempt to access the Ubuntu repositories, both the main one and the security update one (they have different IP addresses). If you install a program like "links" (a text-based web browser), ZoneAlarm Free will block its attempts to reach any web sites.

The only solutions I've found so far are to add each individual IP address you want to access to the "trusted" list (which is obviously ridiculous for, say, a web browser like links), or turn off ZoneAlarm while you use bash on Windows.

(Good Lord, do I need to do this anti-spam puzzle every time I submit a reply?!)

Comment

Sorry all users here no ZA support. If you are behind a router you may want to try to move the ZA Public zone (firewall section) to MEDIUM instead of high. See if this makes any difference. You may need to reboot the PC for the change to take effect.

Unless you volunteer to clean-up hundreds of spam messages per days I am afraid the antispam puzzle have to stay

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Nope, still ****BROKEN**** (and I use that word intentionally) as of build 15.1.504.17269

Come on, ZL: this is a STANDARD function in MSWin10 Pro, no longer just a beta function. This means your application is BROKEN in the regular, long-since-released version of MSWin10.

I figured I'd just "add" bash.exe to the application list, perhaps I could configure it to behave properly. Well guess what; you browse for the exe (since you can't paste in a file path), an ZA doesn't even see the file AT ALL. A file that the regular file manager can see no problem. It's almost as though ZA is ****INTENTIONALLY**** breaking it.

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 15.1.504.17269
                  Vsmon version: 15.1.504.17269
                  Driver version: 15.1.29.17237
                  Antivirus engine version: 8.7.1.99
                  Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1259876832

Comment

Originally posted by fax View Post
                    Sorry all users here no ZA support. If you are behind a router you may want to try to move the ZA Public zone (firewall section) to MEDIUM instead of high. See if this makes any difference. You may need to reboot the PC for the change to take effect.

Unless you volunteer to clean-up hundreds of spam messages per days I am afraid the antispam puzzle have to stay
                    Didn't make any difference. And I thought I could simply add bash.exe to the list of recognized applications, but browsing for the exe (since I can't simply paste in a path) it seems that ZA cannot see bash.exe, while the standard system file manager can see it no problem. It's almost as though ZA is ****INTENTIONALY**** blocking it.

As for your puzzle, it's really picky unless the pieces are precisely placed; someone with a disability would not be able to do it (thereby locking them out of your forums completely). Or was that your intention?

BTW: Your system ate/lost my prior reply here.

ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 15.1.504.17269
                    Vsmon version: 15.1.504.17269
                    Driver version: 15.1.29.17237
                    Antivirus engine version: 8.7.1.99
                    Antivirus signature DAT file version: 1259876832

Comment

Working...
                    X