Windows10, ZoneAlarm GUI doesnt load on cold boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows10, ZoneAlarm GUI doesnt load on cold boot

I have windows 10 professional (10.0.14393) on my laptop.

ZA version v 150_159_17147. When I first boot my laptop the ZA interface will no load, either in the tray or if I run ZA security. When I do a soft reboot. ZA GUI loads with no problems.

I have tried some of the suggestions to combat malware/virus, however:
    tdsskiller & Zemana cant identify any infection.

I am installing and running everything as administrator.

I am using ZA & AVAST together. AVAST is just running the 3 shields, nothing else.

The annoying thing is that although the software appears to be running it is in auto mode and not using my preferences.

I would be grateful for any help identifying and fixing this.

Re: Windows10, ZoneAlarm GUI doesnt load on cold boot

Which exact version of ZA are you running? The firewall only version, right?
    Otherwise, note that you can't run 2 AVs at the same time. This even if you may be lucky in the past to run ZA with other AVs.

What you describe seem to indicate that ZA does not install correctly and/or does not have access to your registry (your settings are not kept).

If you have experienced malware infections than the virus may have damaged your WIN10. If not, the only troubleshooting I can suggest is to fully remove (not just disable) all security software installed up to when windows defender and windows firewall gets activated (like in case of a clean WIN10 installation).

After having fully removed ZA and all other security tools, try also to run the ZA cleanup utility http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/CLEAN.exe Save to desktop, run it and reboot.

Ensure your Win10 is fully up to date. We are at either OS Build 14393.726 or OS Build 14393.693. You can check via running -Winver- command from win10 search.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 28th, 2017, 09:45 AM.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Hi fax,

Thanks for the very quick response. I'm running:
      Windows 10 v14393.693
      Zone alarm free firewall with no AV v5.0.159.17147.

I've uninstalled Zone alarm & AVAST.
      Run the ZA cleaner.
      Then let windows defender do a full system scan - no infection found.
      Reinstalled ZA, no AVAST this time.

Exactly the same thing is happening. I can only get the GUI if I soft reboot.

Can't think what else to try.

Comment

Thanks, are you installing on the C drive (default location)?
        Also open the task manager and list the ZoneAlarm items in the startup tab and check if they are -enabled-

Always in task manager, go to services and check if you have an entry called -vsmon- and see if it is running

Do you get any error during install? Also, have you tried to run manually ZA and see if at the next reboot you get the same issue?

Always try to do this tests without installing any other AV.

Have you experienced virus issue or clean one recently?

Thanks,
        Fax

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
        Click here for ZA Support
        Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Working...
        X