New ZAAR components iin ZA 15.2??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New ZAAR components iin ZA 15.2??

I totally understand where u coming from, but us users should at least have an option on weather we want to install all the extra stuff. it just makes the program that much heavier when all does processes running. also when we choose to uninstall some of the components, there shouldn't be a reason for ZA to reinstall it with out our knowledge. we should be given the option to install what we want or need.

Comment

Hi,

This one reason we offer Paid products. Those don't include these extra services.

If you were paying for a product I would agree you should have the option to turn it off or not install it.
      It's very little to add to the overall Free products so that you can have a very good Free security program.

Forum Moderator.

Originally posted by Q454 View Post
      I totally understand where u coming from, but us users should at least have an option on weather we want to install all the extra stuff. it just makes the program that much heavier when all does processes running. also when we choose to uninstall some of the components, there shouldn't be a reason for ZA to reinstall it with out our knowledge. we should be given the option to install what we want or need.
      Last edited by Forum-Moderator; March 28th, 2018, 04:10 PM.
      ZoneAlarm Support 24/7 click here
      Closed on U.S. Holidays

Comment

I've just updated my ZoneAlarm Antivirus + Firewall Pro from 15.1 to 15.2. I can confirm that these extra components are not present in the paid-for version, even following a definition update.

Comment

Originally posted by AntJ View Post
          I've just updated my ZoneAlarm Antivirus + Firewall Pro from 15.1 to 15.2. I can confirm that these extra components are not present in the paid-for version, even following a definition update.
          I suggest to go back to a pre-15.2 version of ZA Free Firewall to avoid having to deal with this "malware" issue. (I consider anything malware that won't allow me to uninstall it in order to not bloat or clog my running system. ) I went back to the latest pre-version I had (15.1.504.17269) and am very happy to have gotten rid of that forced, hidden anti-ransom feature.

Comment

I don't mind having extra real-time based protection but i'm not really happy with the fact that the new anti-ransomware module is constatnly using from 30% to 40% of my processor. That high usage is made by EFR service.
            There is no point in killing it's process as the service is immediately restarted.
            Is it intended or is it a bug? Is the developer aware of the current situation and trying to come up with a sollution?

Comment

I wasn’t aware at the time of updating to version 152_053_17581 that AntiRansomware was also installed which later caused my Windows 10 Laptop to be very sluggish and Internet Explorer or Edge would not launch.

I uninstalled ZA but I had to manually delete all the AntiRansomware folders 0Endpoint, !SandBlast, CPSecurity! etc which remained. After deletion of the these folders/files my pc was back to normal working order, well almost.

There remains a folder on the root of the C drive named SandBlastBackup. No matter how I try I cannot delete this as access is denied. I’ve tried software programs to change the security permissions and even removed the Hard Disk and deleted the folder via a caddy connected to another pc but the folder is recreated when I replace the disk into the laptop. Therefore, there must be other files remaining to instruct the system to recreate the folder. All entries in ‘Services’ have been disabled and I have used Clean.exe

Disappointingly, it appears that Check Point may have ‘technically’ installed a type of malware on my computer as it was installed without my knowledge or consent, having no uninstaller and leaving behind active remnants that cannot be deleted by the computer owner.

Poor show Check Point, stop it, redeem yourself and provide a fix please.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I am not using ZA free myself, only the retail version but sometimes reinstalling ZA (reboot the PC) and then removing it again (reboot the PC) can help getting rid of all components that may have not been remove correctly the first time. Nothing to loose to try.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
                Click here for ZA Support
                Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Its like malware which is sad, cause ZA was a solid choice for a free firewall. it installs the extra components like downloader. so silent, all u hear is ur hardrive grinding away. I couldn't take the lag so I uninstall and just bought a license for the pro version which I found on sale and does not add those extra components that if u observe it does nothing but sit there and waste resources and collect data. it does nothing else. I'm talking about the anti ransomware service. if u go to program files or program data and scroll thru checkpoint folder and click on the anti ransomware.exe it clearly states that u need a license for it.

Comment

Hello fax. Thank you for trying to help me.

Your suggestion seemed sensible and worth a try so I carried out a fresh installation of ZA v152_053_17581 Free Firewall & Antivirus. The install completed and I rebooted.

Interestingly, there are now NO TRACES of AntiRansomware in the fresh installation at 16th April 2018 even though it’s the same version number.

I conclude that Check Point has now removed AntiRansomware from the free version v152_053_17581.

However, the SandBlastBackup folder is still present in the root of my C drive & undeletable.

What is now required from Check Point is a clean-up fix for users like me who installed the malware version. C’mon Check Point.

Comment

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post back about the progress in your troubleshooting. I am happy to hear the latest version does not have this problem.

For removing that folder you probably need to take ownership of it. Have you tried it already? Its best you do it with ZA fully uninstalled.

see here for an explanation:
                      https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-4128fd66f8c4

Here below you find a more detailed explanation in case the above did not work:
                      https://www.windowscentral.com/how-t...ers-windows-10

Once you have taken ownership you should be able to remove the folder.

Let us know how it goes.

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Thanks for your advice again but I have tried ‘Takeownership’ and other security changing programs without success. Just now, I removed the disk again and connected it to another pc. I successfully shredded the folder. However, it was recreated upon replacing into the laptop.

I suspect (just guessing) that because it’s an AntiRansomware backup folder designed not to be tampered with, locked, changed or deleted by a malicious virus then there is no simple means to remove it. Also, as the system recreates it, indicates to me that other parts of the AntiRansomware application are still stored on my system and indeed active.

I emailed Check Point informing them and requesting help on 10th April 2018 but no response has been received to date which is disappointing. Technical experts that have designed the app would be able to resolve this issue within seconds (just guessing again!). Hence, I feel let down as Check Point created this situation but shows no responsibility, customer care or urgency to put things right.

Comment

You may want to use their live chat instead and request support for the removal of ZA. I don't think there is an active email support.

Fax

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

A final troubleshooting to try is to actually install the trial of ZA antiransomware (rather than ZA free), reboot. Then remove ZA antiransoomware, reboot. Any better?

After this I am really out of further suggestions.

Sorry,
                            Fax

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Thank you again for the helpful suggestion.

This has happened today – I booted up to find that I spoke too soon yesterday when I posted that there were ‘no traces of AntiRansomware in the fresh installation of ZA’ as AR was back! Whether it was a delayed install with ZA (requiring a reboot) or recreated due to the remnants on my pc I just don’t know. Things seem to happen behind my back here.

I then acted on your suggestion and uninstalled ZA in the hope that it would successfully remove all of AR too. The result is YES it has (hurrah!).

You may now wish to edit my post #24 declaring that ‘Check Point has now removed AntiRansomware from the free version v152_053_17581’ as it may or may not be true. Sorry if I’ve misled other users but AR was certainly not present after the re-installation of ZA.

I guess I shall have to suspend using ZA for now and keep my eye on this forum for any news in future.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Thank you once again for taking the time to report back.

So, if I understand correctly, removing ZA free also removed the folder. You were not forced to troubleshoot by installing a trial of ZA antiransomware and then remove it.

Regarding your previous post, you should be able to edit the post directly. Don't you see a "edit post" at the bottom right corner of the message itself?

Thank you,
                                fax

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Working...
                                X