New ZAAR components iin ZA 15.2??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q454
    started a topic New ZAAR components iin ZA 15.2??

New ZAAR components iin ZA 15.2??

Hello everybody, I'm new in these forums. the reason I created this thread is because I'm having problem understanding the new version of zone alarm free firewall 15.2.053.17581. when opening task manager I now see a few processes that was not there before. zone alarm anti ransomware, ZAAR Update Service, TESvc, Remediation Service, CpSbaUpdater, CbSbaCipolla, CPEFR. also folder SandBlastBackup has been created and on programs (86) on CheckPoint Folder EndPoint Security folder. I spoke to somebody on zonealarm chat and he said it was part of the new version. But no offence he sounded confuse. I try uninstalling and did a clean install but keep getting the same results. I only run windows defender on windows 10 home 64 bit.
    Last edited by Q454; March 3rd, 2018, 12:34 PM.

• DocCovington
    replied
    Re: New ZAAR components iin ZA 15.2??

Originally posted by qpwoeiruty View Post
    Is this still the situation.
    I'd like to know as well. After the ZAAR fiasco had started, I went back to version 15.1.504.17269 and am still using that one as I don't want any additional **** installed on my system.

Leave a comment:

• qpwoeiruty
    replied

Originally posted by SirGuy View Post
    I spoke with a ZoneAlarm agent via live chat earlier today. I asked if we are able to use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall without ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware (ZAAR). The agent said, "Yes, you can have the free firewall without the ZAAR." and provided me a link to download ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. The provided link pointed to an installer with the same name as the installer I found on the website (zafwSetupWeb_153_060_17669.exe) but with a slightly different size so I installed ZoneAlarm Free Firewall with that Installer. I monitored my running processes, restarted my computer a few times, and within about 30 minutes ZAAR was back on my computer). It seems not everyone is on the same page at Check Point.
    Is this still the situation. I also simply want an installer that does NOT include ZAAR (whose SandBlastBackup folders are using too much of the minimal free space on my C drive and can't be deleted - even using IObit unlocker). Is there still no actual installer without it, even though agents say there is? I have not seen one but, if someone has a link to such an installer please provide. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• MarkUK
    replied

Originally posted by MarkUK View Post
    Having problems with this as well... there are 38000 files in my SandBlastBackup folder taking up a whoping 35GB of my data drive... that is over 70% and I keep getting a message that the drive is full...
    No idea why but this has suddenly dropped to 180MB.. just 1.2% of my disc space and back down to less than 30% disc usage.. I am presuming CheckPoint has quietly introduced an update
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• MarkUK
    replied

Totally scuppered... SandBlast taking up so much space... not enough room left on my drive to update ZA and see if I can reconfigure!

Leave a comment:

• MarkUK
    replied

Having problems with this as well... there are 38000 files in my SandBlastBackup folder taking up a whoping 35GB of my data drive... that is over 70% and I keep getting a message that the drive is full... don't want to delete my data files and SandBlastBackup completely locked even as administrator with ZAAR killed.
    I have used ZoneAlarm for many years and I don't want to have to uninstall it but I cannot put up with this.
    If Check Point had asked me, I would have willingly installed ZAAR but I want a way of uninstalling it now I know that it is crippling my computer.

Leave a comment:

• SirGuy
    replied

Issues I have with ZAAR bundled with ZoneAlarm Free Firewall:
    • I don't want it installed on my computer (all reasons and logic aside, shouldn't that alone be enough?).
    • I don't like that it's bundled. I don't like how it's bundled. A silent self-install without an OK (or even assumed OK) from the user is just wrong...doesn't matter what the software is/does.
    • I don't know what ZAAR does. It seems to be watching everything that happens on my computer. That seems strange. More so because I didn't give it permission nor ask it to do so.
    • 'ZAAR bundled with ZoneAlarm Free Firewall' doesn't appear to be documented anywhere. If this is an official change (flying in the face of years of established product identity and trust) a developer manifesto or news post would be appreciated.
    • ZAAR uses a lot of system resources. Upwards of 30% CPU usage on my computer. That's an unacceptable loss of resources for a program I don't want in the first place.
    • If I want ZAAR (or any other product) I'll purchase it. I don't need it bundled with other software.
    • ZAAR doesn't "feel" very official. It's self-installed silently. The manufacturer information (on executables and things) is blank in places. There are a whole host of support processes/etc. It doesn't observe user's choice for ZoneAlarm install location (it seems to install to the default install location regardless of folder structure or user preferences).

Checkpoint, please reconsider your position on bundling ZAAR (or anything else) with ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. ZoneAlarm Free Firewall has been the #1 free firewall because of what it is... not because of the 'features' or bloatware bundled with it. All it needs to do is be a firewall. The rest just brings it down.

Leave a comment:

• SirGuy
    replied

I apologize for the length of my reply. However, I feel that serious issues call for serious feedback. I feel ZAAR silently bundled with ZoneAlarm Free Firewall is a serious issue.

I apologize that my reply is split into multiple posts. My attempt to post the entire reply in one post results in a status of (failed) net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE. Tried with Chrome, Firefox, IE.

I also understand that we're all (or most of us are) just users here. But since ZoneAlarm Free Firewall has limited support access and I believe that this sort of issue will probably not be resolved without massive complaints from the user base, maybe a user forum is the place to post this.

Originally posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    This one reason we offer Paid products. Those don't include these extra services.

If you were paying for a product I would agree you should have the option to turn it off or not install it.
    It's very little to add to the overall Free products so that you can have a very good Free security program.
    Paraphrasing from Wikipedia
    Originally posted by Paraphrased
    Ransomware - a type of malicious software that blocks access unless a ransom is paid.
    For 20ish years ZoneAlarm free firewall has been an excellent choice for a personal software firewall. With the latest update ZoneAlarm includes a self-installing standalone program. This program reduces ZoneAlarm's usability for many users. When reported via the forums users were told they would have to pay to unblock access to a version of the firewall without the extra program.

Is it Check Point's intention to hold ZoneAlarm Free Firewall hostage and demand ransom to unblock normal functionality? This situation seems shockingly similar to ransomware. The added irony is that the program causing the ransomware-like behavior is called 'ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware'...

I spoke with a ZoneAlarm agent via live chat earlier today. I asked if we are able to use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall without ZoneAlarm Anti-Ransomware (ZAAR). The agent said, "Yes, you can have the free firewall without the ZAAR." and provided me a link to download ZoneAlarm Free Firewall. The provided link pointed to an installer with the same name as the installer I found on the website (zafwSetupWeb_153_060_17669.exe) but with a slightly different size so I installed ZoneAlarm Free Firewall with that Installer. I monitored my running processes, restarted my computer a few times, and within about 30 minutes ZAAR was back on my computer). It seems not everyone is on the same page at Check Point.

Leave a comment:

• ILikeSimple
    replied

Guys how I Delete ZAAR for Ever?

Im using ZA since it was Yellow Skined.
    Today I have massive problems with the software (ZA Firewall Free 15.3.060).
    ZAAR cost me Network performance.
    ping28.04.2018.png
    After Im Uninstall the ZAAR (by using the uninst.exe) and Reboot the System, the ping test dropped as usually (1ms constant).
    But as you have already mentioned, it always reinstalls himself.
    Also Deleting ZAAR.exe & ZAICMSetup.exe wont fix the Problem.

Leave a comment:

• aracapelli
    replied

You can also use the Program Control of the Za Free Firewall to prevent
    startup, internet access or inbound connectivity of these programs/services.
    You can then verify that they are not running by using the ProcessExplorer application.

aracapelli

Leave a comment:

• aracapelli
    replied
    Re: New processes in new version

Originally posted by almirsahbaz View Post
    Hi,

I just updated my ZoneAlarm security software to new version: 15.2.053.17581

And after definition update, I got some new processes in my task manager, which are part of ZoneAlarm software:

EFRService.exe
    RemediationService.exe
    SBACipollaSrvHost.exe
    TESvc.exe
    ZAAR.exe
    ZAARUpdateService.exe

What are these processes, and why they appear now with this new definition update and new ZoneAlarm version?
    If these processes/services are not supported in the Free version of Za 15.2.053.17581 then there is no reason that
    you should allow them to run on your computer. Go to Microsoft/Sysinternals and install Processexplorer.exe.
    This will allow you to pause or remove these applications and services after they start up if you feel they are not needed. I have done this with all those you have listed with no ill effect on the operation of ZA Free firewall.

Leave a comment:

• fax
    replied

Thanks a lot again for the detailed explanations. It will surely help other users with your same problem

Leave a comment:

• onlyme001
    replied

Yes fax you’re correct. When I saw that AntiRansomware was present after the re-install of ZA I tried uninstalling ZA from Control Panel & this time all was removed including the SandBlastBackup folder. I didn’t need to troubleshoot by installing a trial of AntiRansomware.

I looked into installing a trial version of AR only to find that it’s not as easy as I thought. You need to register (I am already registered so that’s okay) then you have to hand over your payment details and set up a subscription before you can download the product. I was reluctant to do this as I didn’t want to get into deeper trouble but thankfully it wasn’t necessary.

The sad thing for me now is that I will not be using ZA free to protect my laptop. I’ve been using it for around 20 years and considered it invaluable. I was content with just having a great firewall with antivirus but I understand Check Point is developing additional software to further protect its users with the introduction of AntiRansomware. It’s the fact that it was installed without my knowledge or having a tick box consent and the subsequent problems encountered.

Purchasing the full Pro Firewall 2018 without antivirus, may be the answer although $29.95 per year is too expensive. For a 5-year license maybe I would, but not annually.

Thank you for pointing out about ‘edit post’ but I can’t see how, sorry. In the bottom right hand corner of my posts are two options, ‘Reply With Quote’ and ‘Multi-Quote This Message’.

Leave a comment:

• fax
    replied

Thank you once again for taking the time to report back.

So, if I understand correctly, removing ZA free also removed the folder. You were not forced to troubleshoot by installing a trial of ZA antiransomware and then remove it.

Regarding your previous post, you should be able to edit the post directly. Don't you see a "edit post" at the bottom right corner of the message itself?

Thank you,
    fax

Leave a comment:

• onlyme001
    replied

Thank you again for the helpful suggestion.

This has happened today – I booted up to find that I spoke too soon yesterday when I posted that there were ‘no traces of AntiRansomware in the fresh installation of ZA’ as AR was back! Whether it was a delayed install with ZA (requiring a reboot) or recreated due to the remnants on my pc I just don’t know. Things seem to happen behind my back here.

I then acted on your suggestion and uninstalled ZA in the hope that it would successfully remove all of AR too. The result is YES it has (hurrah!).

You may now wish to edit my post #24 declaring that ‘Check Point has now removed AntiRansomware from the free version v152_053_17581’ as it may or may not be true. Sorry if I’ve misled other users but AR was certainly not present after the re-installation of ZA.

I guess I shall have to suspend using ZA for now and keep my eye on this forum for any news in future.

Thank you for your help.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X