• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZA firewall blocks webpages

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 15.2.053.17581
    Vsmon version: 15.2.53.17581
    Driver version: 15.1.29.17237

Running Win 10 1709

I noticed that after installing Zonealarm Free Firewall some websites get blocked after 15/30min from the start of the system. After restart of system everything works for another 15/30 min and then again they get blocked.

Web sites such as 9gag or even the zonealarm will be blocked, google or youtube will work, when I turned the the firewall off and just kept the Application Control active, everything works fine for hours.

Any idea what could be causing such things?

Re: ZA firewall blocks webpages

Have you set your network (firewall zones) as Trusted? The only thing I could think is that with the network (and router) set as public you may have issues with the internet connection.

Otherwise you may want to try to reset the ZA settings to default, the ZA databases (where settings are stored) may be corrupted. Go to ZA tools, Preferences, reset to default, OK and reboot the PC. Do not modify any settings and check if you still have problems.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Originally posted by fax View Post
      Have you set your network (firewall zones) as Trusted? The only thing I could think is that with the network (and router) set as public you may have issues with the internet connection.

Otherwise you may want to try to reset the ZA settings to default, the ZA databases (where settings are stored) may be corrupted. Go to ZA tools, Preferences, reset to default, OK and reboot the PC. Do not modify any settings and check if you still have problems.
      Networks are set as Trusted.

Resetting to default does nothing.

Only when the system was rebooted everything went back to normal for a short time and then everything started to get blocked, even the ZoneAlarm forum site.

I now uninstalled completely ZoneAlarm and everything started to work without any problems.

If I have time I will re-install it again and them see what happens.

Comment

Well, something is conflicting with ZA and after a while cause issues with the connections. May be other network/security tools are clashing with ZA? Sorry no more ideas in how to troubleshoot the problem. I see no impact on browsing while using ZA but I am not running the firewall only version.

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

After uninstalling the firewall everything went back to normal operation.

The only other system that has anything to do with safety is ESET Endpoint Antivirus.

I cleaned the system with CC cleaner, defaragmented the discs and then installed ZA Free Firewall.

Immediately the internet slowed down, pages took longer to load and the system had a really hard time to return to operating after being in sleep mode, took about 7min for the desktop to appear. After a second uninstall everything went back to normal.

Installed a competitors free firewall and have no problems or slowdowns.

This is a shame, I had used ZA in many other private computers and laptops and even once helped protect me from a program trying to copy and transmit personal data.

If someone has some suggestions I will still be visiting this thread and waiting for an update or solution.

Comment

Then possibly its a conflict with the AV installed. An easy way to double check is to remove the AV, install ZA firewall or the version with AV and see if it works better. If not, than the conflict is somewhere else. Very difficult to diagnose unless in front of the system

Monday-Sunday 24x7

Comment

Working...
            X